Position: HR Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities:
Human Resource Function
• Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable requirements.
• Keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in timely fashion.
• Processes personnel action forms and assures proper approvals; disseminates approved forms.
• Maintains budget spreadsheet that includes salaries, payroll taxes and fringe allowances.
• Prepares paperwork required to place employee on payroll and establishes personnel file.
• Assists in hiring process by coordinating job posting on Web site, reviewing resumes, performing telephone interviews and reference checks.
• Maintains Employee Handbook with updated resolutions and other pertinent information, as needed.
• Troubleshoots telephone and voice mail system; handles minor repairs and coordinates repairs with technicians when required.
• Provides training for new and current employees on communication systems, including telephone and voice mail.
• Supervises receptionist, delegates projects as appropriate, and assures coverage of switchboard in receptionist’s absence.
• Oversees special events for staff by coordinating committees and schedules, and staying within budget.
Education and Work Experience
1. High school diploma or equivalent with some college or technical school coursework preferred
2. Minimum of three (3) years of job-related experience, preferably in a human resource department.
3. Technical experience, including responsibility for maintaining computer systems
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge and Skills
• Proficiency in or knowledge of using a variety of computer software applications, especially Excel and Microsoft Word software.
• High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
• Knowledge of office administration procedures.
• Ability to operate most standard office equipment.
• Attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Good to excellent spelling, grammar and written communication skills.
• Excellent telephone and oral communication skills.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.